- Superintendent’s Update: Superintendent Shamieh honored Hemlock teacher Angelo Marubayashi for applying lifesaving emergency first aid for one of his students. Mrs. Shamieh also reported on the following events: Hour of Code activities at several school sites; Banks Integration Group Job Shadow Day; English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) Career Fair held for Vacaville High and Jepson Middle School students; recent articles in Vacaville Magazine highlighting Buckingham Charter Magnet High School and Jepson Middle School; Will C. Wood Singers’ Madrigal Dinner 2016; and Vacaville Ballet Company’s “The Nutcracker”, featuring several VUSD student performers.
- Markham Children’s Choir: Markham students, led by Director Kim Alexander-Yarbor, performed for the Board.
Oaths of Office
New Governing Board Trustee Tracee Stacy was sworn-in by Supervisor John Vasquez. Incumbent Trustees John Jansen, Michael Kitzes, Sherie Mahlberg, and Shawn Windham were sworn-in by Superintendent Jane Shamieh.
Election of VUSD Governing Board Officers for the term December 8, 2016 – December 7, 2017
Board members were elected as follows:
President: Michael Kitzes
Vice President: Shawn Windham
Clerk: Sherie Mahlberg
Secretary: Jane Shamieh
New Business – the following items were approved by the Board:
- Approval of the 2016-17 First Interim Report.
- Approval of Kairos Public School Vacaville Academy (KPSVA) Charter Revision.
- Approval of Unrepresented Employee Group Salary Schedule for 2016-17.
- Approval of Contracts with Sierra School Equipment and Campbell Keller for the Jepson Modernization Project.
- Approval of Contract with Hibser Yamauchi Architects, Inc. for the Markham Toilet Relocation Project.
- Approval Contract Amendment #1 with Rainforth Grau Architects for the VHS New Classroom Buildings Project.
- Approval of Contract Amendment #1 with Hibser Yamauchi Architects, Inc. for the ISP Tenant Improvement Project.
- Approval of Contract Amendment #2 with Mid Pacific Engineering, Inc. for the VHS Parking Lot and Tennis Court Project.
- Approval of Contract Amendment #3 with Architectural Nexus, Inc. for the Sierra Vista Campus Conversion Project.
- Approval of the following contract change orders:
- Change order #1 with RT Gonzales, Inc. dba Signs Now for the Sierra Vista Campus Conversion Project.
- Change order #1 for Pacific Power & Systems, Inc. for the Jepson Modernization Project.
- Change order #1 with Silver Creek Industries, Inc. for the Sierra Vista Modular Science Classroom Project.
- Change order #3 with de Rutte Builders Corporation on the Elm Campus ADA Improvement Project.
The Board also discussed the following item under New Business:
- Nominations for 2017 California School Boards Association (CSBA) Delegate(s)
- The Board did not nominate additional candidates to represent Sub-Region 3-C, Solano County, to the CSBA Delegate Assembly; VUSD Trustee Shelley Dally is a current CSBA Delegate.