Superintendent’s Update: Superintendent Shamieh acknowledged donations from staff and the public to district sites and programs and provided information on the following district events and activities: timeline regarding the proposed school start time changes for the 2018-19 school year; Leadership Day at Padan Elementary; Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) visits to Buckingham and Will C. Wood this week; visit to Vacaville High School to observe co-teaching classrooms; Jepson Middle School coach Chris Marino’s 2017 Tournament of Champions Coaches Award; opening of the new softball field and 8th grade orientation at Vacaville High; and Buckingham and Vacaville High’s upcoming participation in the FIRST Robotics Regional competition at U.C. Davis.
Closed Session Report Out
Vice President Windham reported that the Board approved the following administrative appointments effective March 17:
Adam Wight as Principal, Jepson Middle School and Ami Blackstone as Principal, Country High School. Congratulations Adam and Ami!
Staff Reports and Presentations
- Vaca Pena Middle School Report: Principal Ramon Cusi, Assistant Principal Colleen Moe, Learning Support Coordinator Traci White, and student Braydon Meyer, provided an overview of Vaca Pena’s mission and school goals; enrollment and staffing; and intervention strategies and school climate.
- Mental Health Supports Update: Director of Student Services Bill Ewing, Master Social Worker Ciara Davis, and Dean of Learning Support Andrea Kamman provided an update on current mental health supports and services for district students.
- Revisions to Board Policy and Administrative Regulations 6142.7, Physical Education and Activity: Director of Secondary Education Kelley Birch provided an overview of recommended revisions to the Physical Education policy. Action on the board policy revision is scheduled for the April 13, 2017 Governing Board meeting.
- Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) Update: Chief Academic Officer Mark Frazier reported on new LCAP Accountability measures and progress-monitoring indicators.
New Business – the following items were approved by the Board:
- Approval of Second Interim Report for Fiscal Year 2016-17.
- Resolution No. 15, 2016-17, Resolution Authorizing the Issuance and Sale of General Obligation Bonds, Election of 2014, Series B, in the Aggregate Principal Amount Not-to-Exceed $38,000,000.00 and Approving Related Documents and Actions.
- Resolution No. 16, 2016-17, Authorizing Temporary Interfund Transfers.
- Approval of Employment Agreement for Interim Assistant Superintendent, Kimberly Forrest.
- Approval of Unrepresented Employee Group Salary Schedules for 2016-17.
- Approval of Agreement between VUSD and Delta Wireless, Inc. for Security Camera Upgrades at Will C. Wood High, Buckingham Charter Magnet High, Vacaville High, and Vaca Pena Middle Schools.
- Approval of Furniture Bid Quote with Campbell Keller for the Vacaville High Increment 2 Modular Building.
- Approval of Furniture Bid Quote with Sierra School Equipment Company for the Sierra Vista Increment 2 Project.