- Buckingham Charter Distinguished School Award Ceremony: Buckingham High was honored on May 10, 2013 as a California Distinguished School. The ceremony was held in Sacramento and was hosted by State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tom Torlakson.
- GOTCHA: Secondary student recognition will be held on May 21 and May 22 at Stars Recreation Center. Bowling, games, and lunch will be provided to qualifying students.
- Administrative positions for 2012-13: During Closed Session the Board approved the hiring of Claudia Barba, Elementary Principal. Ms. Barba will be assigned as Principal at Orchard Elementary; Gricelda Rodriguez will be assigned as Principal at Hemlock/ACE Elementary; and Luci Del Rio-Ramirez will be assigned as Principal at Padan Elementary.
- Budget Planning Update: Associate Superintendent Kari Sousa gave a brief overview of the Governor’s budget revision released on May 14. She also noted that District stakeholder input has been compiled and was evaluated by the Budget Advisory Committee (BAC); the committee will meet on June 5 to develop a final 2013-14 budget recommendation.
- Governing Board Meeting Times: The Board discussed changing the Regular Board meeting Open Session start time to 6:00 p.m. Following the discussion, the Board tabled action on this item and will agendize it at a future Board meeting.
- Board Action on Approval of Pacific Valley Charter Academy Petition: Following discussion on the Charter’s petition, the Board and legal counsel mutually agreed to extend the petition’s approval request for action at the June 27, 2013 Board meeting.
New Business – the following items were unanimously approved by the Board:
- 2012-2013 Elementary Portable Classroom Window Covering Project Increase.
- Will C. Wood High School Theater and Cafeteria ADA Upgrade Project and Cafeteria Flooring Project.
Also during New Business, Leigh Coop, Director of Facilities, provided information on the Superintendent’s Facility Advisory Committee (SFAC) recommendations and upcoming projects.
- Jeanne LaPointe, Director of Transportation, provided a report to the Board on VUSD’s Transportation Department. Mrs. LaPointe reviewed past and current department staffing and current services provided to district students. She also provided information on types and numbers of buses in the district’s fleet, air quality requirements, and upgrades and improvements needed for continued transportation services.