- Public Notice of Tentative Agreement between VTA and the Governing Board: Randy Henry, Chief Human Resources Officer, and Moira McSweeney, Vacaville Teachers Association President, presented the tentative agreement for 2012-13.
- Kari Sousa, CBO, gave an overview of the Governor’s May budget revision for 2012-13.
Report Closed Session Actions
President Kitzes announced that the Board approved the amendment of Superintendent Niederkorn’s contract for 2012-13. In order to provide relief to the district and consistent with CalSTRS regulations, Dr. Niederkorn will move into retirement status but will continue to serve as Superintendent through June of 2013. This change in contract terms will significantly benefit the District financially for the 2012-13 fiscal year.
Old Business – the following item was unanimously approved by the Board:
- New Board Policy 6170.1, Transitional Kindergarten
New Business – the following items were unanimously approved by the Board:
- Ratification of the 2012-13 Contract, SEIU Local #1021
- Adoption of SELPA Local Plan Policy: Independent Education Evaluations
- Denise Fracchia, District Content Area Specialist ELD, and Jane Luick, English Learner Program Specialist, gave a presentation on English Learner progress in the District. They reviewed the two essential standards for English Language Learners and the District’s ELD pacing guides. Mrs. Fracchia and Ms. Luick also shared information on EL students’ STAR, CAHSEE, and CELDT test scores from 2009-2011, as well as numbers of reclassified students from 2009-2011.
- Kim Forrest, Director of Instruction, Curriculum and Assessment, gave an update on transitional, full-day, and pre-Kindergarten programs in the District. She reviewed the Governor’s May budget revision recommendation to eliminate the Transitional Kindergarten requirement for the 2012-13 school year, making the Transitional K program voluntary for school districts. She also reviewed the kindergarten age requirements that have been changed by State mandate. Mrs. Forrest shared that the District is planning for possible implementation of a Transitional K program at one or two elementary sites in the event the program receives State funding.
- Nicola Parr, Administrator of Learning Support, and Christie Cochran, Orchard Elementary School Principal, presented information and recommendations for the After School Education and Safety (ASES) and Orchard after-school programs. Mrs. Parr reported that the City of Vacaville is interested in entering into a Memorandum of Understanding to take over administration of the VUSD ASES program. The MOU will be forwarded to the District in the coming weeks. Mrs. Cochran’s recommendation to the Board was to close Orchard’s fee-based after school program, which is not part of the District’s ASES program, due to fiscal constraints.