Superintendent’s Update: Superintendent Jane Shamieh acknowledged several donations made to district programs and shared photos from recent school site visits. Also during Superintendent Shamieh’s report, Vacaville High School Principal Ed Santopadre reported that the school received a six-year accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Public Hearing: Extended Day Kindergarten at Fairmont Charter School
Fairmont Principal Deanna Brownlee provided a presentation on the proposed implementation of an Extended Day Kindergarten program at Fairmont for the 2016-17 school year. The Board will take action on the request to extend the Kindergarten school day at Fairmont at their meeting on March 3.
Staff Reports and Presentations
- Callison Elementary School Report: Principal Cathy Bozzini and Assistant Principal LaTonya Cruthird, along with several Callison students, provided an overview of Callison’s academic and behavioral goals, various programs offered to students, special school events, and current Callison staffing.
- Rule of 85 Presentation: Vacaville High School Principal Ed Santopadre and Will C. Wood High School Principal Cliff De Graw provided an update on the Rule of 85 attendance program at both high schools.
- School Start Times Presentation: Chief Academic Officer Mark Frazier, along with Principals Jeff Crane, Kelley Birch, and Ed Santopadre, and Director of Transportation Jodie Peters, provided background and research information regarding later start times at middle and high schools. More information will be provided to the Board on a proposed later start time for VUSD students at their meeting on March 3.
- Governor’s Budget Update: Interim Associate Superintendent Sandra Lepley provided an update on the Governor’s proposed 2016-17 budget and the anticipated changes to the district’s multi-year budgets through 2018-19.
- Measure A Citizens’ Oversight Committee (COC) Update: COC Spokesperson Ron Drinkard provided an overview of the selection process for the committee and an update on Measure A activities.
- Superintendent’s Facility Advisory Committee (SFAC) Update: Director of Facilities Dan Banowetz provided an update on the following Measure A projects: Sierra Vista Increment I; Vacaville High School parking lot and new classroom buildings; Jepson Modernization; California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) report for the Wood stadium; Independent Study relocation options; Proposition 39 energy plan; Standard Response Protocol Training community meetings; and meetings with the City regarding the Roberts Ranch residential development.
Closed Session Report Out
President Dally reported that the Board unanimously approved the following administrative appointment:
Nina Poquiz as Certified Occupational Therapist, Special Education.
New Business – the following items were unanimously approved by the Board:
- Acceptance of the District Financial Audit Report ending June 30, 2015. Prior to the acceptance of the audit, James Marta, CPA from James Marta and Company, provided a presentation of the audit components.
- Approval of Agreement between Vacaville Unified School District and 3QC, Inc. for Commissioning Services for the Vacaville High School New Classroom Project.
- Approval of Agreement between Vacaville Unified School District and All Season Trees for Tree Removal on Measure A Projects.
- Approval of Agreement between Vacaville Unified School District and Hibser Yamauchi Architects for the Fairmont Charter School Kindergarten Classroom Building Project.
The Board also discussed the following items during New Business:
- Revisions to Board Policy 7310, Naming of Facility: The Board requested additional changes be made to the policy and will agendize discussion and/or action on the policy revisions at a future meeting.
- Renaming the Sierra Vista School Site: The Board directed Superintendent Shamieh to facilitate a committee to recommend a name for the K-8 school that will be opening for the 2016-17 school year at 301 Bel Air Drive, the former Sierra Vista Elementary School site.